Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, January 25, 2008

Nothing to write about


I really have nothing to write about today. Nothing exciting going on, two of four people in my house are sick again and luckily I'm not one of them.

I was reading a post by Kellan about a little girl who was about 2 speaking to her and acknowledging her. I know a lot of people don't think twice about making a small person feel important, but really what Kellan did was so sweet.

Callee still doesn't talk very well or very much. You wouldn't understand her unless you are around her everyday and she talks only when she wants to, forget about having her repeat anything. If she says hi to someone when we are out and about and they reply to her she gets this very bashful look on her face, it's too cute.

Taylor on the other hand was a very young talker and still is a very talkative child. That is probably why Callee doesn't talk, why should she when her big sister talks for her? Anyways, Taylor spoke in complete sentences at 14 months and when we would go to the store with her she would say hi to passing people and occassionally try to start a conversation with them. Some people would humor her and say hi in passing and some people would ignore her. I never understood that, she's a baby I don't think she'll hurt you, you can say hello. The people that ignored her would pass by and she would keep getting louder with the hi's and hello's until she was actually screaming at the person. In my mind it would have made more sense to just say hi instead of stopping right down the isle and have this baby yell at you.

So Kellan, you made a child's day and more importantly, you made a very proud parent's day so thank you!

Btw, no I never corrected Taylor for yelling at those people, they deserved it!

11 comments:

KC said...

My oldest Princess was talking really early.. We even caught her on video tape when she was 9 months old. I was taping her playing and DH came home and as he walked though the door she looked up and said "Hi daddy" clear as day.. by a year old she was talking and carrying on conversations. my 2nd was the same way.. Maybe didn't talk as early but by a year old was clear and talking with adults. Then there was my 3rd who knew how to talk but wouldn't.. Sort of like you said with Callee.. why should she talk she had two older sibs talking for her.. PLUS she was really shy.. Sweet Pea has always been shy, she is turning 6 years old this coming week and still wouldn't talk to you unless she knows you. not my older two.. and not Little Man they will talk to anyone.. ONLY with Little Man he is a year behind on his speech(this is due to his birth and the lack of oxygen he had I'm luck he is alive at all and that his speech seems to be the only problem he has) He has been doing speech once a week since November and he has come such a long way.. So anyways he will talk to anyone walking by but I'm not 100% they will understand him. shoot I live with him and just starting to understand him.

girlymom said...

I agree with you about what Kellan wrote. It is so nice when people acknowledge the kids, especially since it just makes their face glow! Have a great weekend!

Kellan said...

I love that you wrote this post prompted by my story - because this is about your sweet children and it is so nice to hear all about them. I don't know why that one moment hit me funny, but I realized that it happens often; these tiny children that reach out to us "busy" grown-ups in stores or on sidewalks and just want us to acknowledge them - SEE them - hear them. We all need to stop more often and acknowledge how special they are - HEAR their voices. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this and sharing your story about your sweet girls - I love those girls!

Have a great weekend and I'll see you later Courtney. Kellan

Kellan said...

Of course I'm not mad - I'm honored that something that I wrote prompted you to want to write something on the same subject. I love that about reading other people's posts and stories - that it stimulates each of us to think about other stuff and also gives us ideas about how to tell our own stories. You are always welcome to "steal" any thoughts from my site and beware - I might very well "steal" some of yours. See you later. Kellan

Amy Plumb said...

It's hard for the second child when the first one does all the talking. She'll get there don't worry.
I'll have to go to Kellan's site and read what she posted.

suchsimplepleasures said...

i absolutely love when little kids are talking to me. i love crouching down, to talk to them, on their level. they are so innocent and sweet...their voices, their facial expressions...
kellan had a great post and...for someone with not much going on today...you had a great post, too!!

Tami said...

Nor should you have corrected her. You should have said Shame on you to each person that ignored her. Your daughters are precious.


Have a great weekend,
Tami

Texasholly said...

so sweet and I am glad that she didn't let the rude people get away with it...

Stephanie said...

My neices are the same way. The oldest is very talkative and will talk to anyone and everyone who passes by. The younger one is just shy of two, and doesn't talk much at all. She speaks very clearly when she does, but most people don't get the chance to hear it.

Your girls are beautiful by the way.

Unknown said...

My oldest spoke in full sentences at 14 months too and now always speaks for her brother. Her brother has been in and out of speech therapy since he was 2 because he didn't talk. Now he talks but you can't always understand him. I think it's typical of older sibling/younger sibling!

Your girls are too cute!

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I know its not quite the same thing, but my son when he was about 4 would always yell hellos at the neighbors across the street. He would yell louder and louder and they would always ignore him. It broke my heart that people were so rude that they couldn't take 2 seconds and say hello to a child who was obviously talking to them.