Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Relay for Life

I have very little time to post this so it will be a shortened, very brief version. I wish I had the time to write everything out because we had an amazing time.

We went to the Relay for Life on Friday night, arriving around 6 p.m. We watched the survivor walk parade, which I cried most of the way through. Then we all lined up with our team and walked in the parade. The girls had fun throwing candy, although Callee didn't walk much (surprise, surprise.)

After that parade, we all took our shifts walking and we let the kids explore into other tents. We bought glow stick bracelets and necklaces and mommy bought pizelles (not sure of the spelling.) They were really good. The torrential downpour came right about 9 p.m. and we were all huddled under the tent trying to stay dry (some of the members of our team were out looking through other tents when the rain started & were soaked by the time they got back in.) Callee was one of the unfortunate drowned rats:When it finally stopped raining, we waited for the fireworks to begin. Shelley picked the umbrellas out of the cupcakes for her, Callee & Taylor to wear in there hair. Here is a cute picture of Shelley & Taylor. Shelley also got a picture with Callee, but I don't have that one yet, but she had one umbrella behind each ear. She looked a little like Shrek!
After the fireworks Mike took the girls home (about 10:30) and I stayed at the Relay until midnight to walk for our team. Btw, all the umbrellas & such were because our teams slogan was, "Jamaican me wanna find a cure."
Saturday dawned a new day with little clouds and lots of sun. Here are the girls enjoying some lunch (or shaved ice, not sure.)We played games on Saturday. Here are the girls with their friends Braxton and Preston trying to pop balloons with their booty's. Preston (far left next to Tay) won!Taylor was not going to give up until her balloon popped so with a little help from daddy it finally did.Callee enjoyed the face/hand paintings. She ended up with 3 on Saturday! I think she had 2 on Friday too.Here is her beautiful heart flower on her cheek.
Smiley Taylor with her bag of candy and sun in her eyes.

It was definitely exhausting, but well worth it. The girls did amazingly well with the little sleep they got and the non stop excitement that they had.

Bella was dedicated at church on Sunday so I'll have to write about that some other time. Hope you enjoyed my Relay post!


Cheffie-Mom said...

So much fun for such a great cause! Love the photos!

Angela said...

It does sound like everyone had a lot of fun.

Face painting is also great.

AZMom said...

Sounds like an amazing (and wet) time but glad the next day dawned beautiful and bright!! Love all the pics!

Stuff could always be worse said...

It sounds like fun but tiring.

I have an award for you on my blog, if I can figure it out, how to pass it on.

Shana W. said...

I am doing Relay in June. This is the first year for me. We are raising money in memory of Josh's Grandma.