Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

She has a heart of gold and it is a winter wonderland

First I just want to say I woke up to a winter wonderland. I knew the roads would be bad so we left earlier than normal. It's a good thing we did because I was still late for work...no fun! I saw a lot of cars in ditches and just off to the side of the road and I prayed God would allow me to get to work safely and he did. While pulling into daycare (I slid most of the way), I started to slide and ended up in the grass. I didn't hit the "enter" sign though, so at least there weren't too many damages. I walked in and my aunt says, great driving! LOL. Whoops, didn't realize anyone saw me. She did say that if she had to call the owner and tell him that a parent hit the sign she would've rather it been me. He likes me and has known me forever so he wouldn't have been too mad about it if it were me.

Now I want to share a story about Taylor. We had a conversation about Peaches the other night because I don't want her first experience with death to be someone she is extremely close to. Don't get me wrong, she loves her great grandfather, but this wouldn't affect her as much as one of her grandparents or aunts and uncles. My first experience with death was when I was 12 and my best friend died. It was really hard and I'd rather have my kids prepared even if she is only 4 1/2 and can't fully understand it.

I was leaving to go see my grandma and she wanted to go and couldn't. When she asked why this is the conversation that happened:

Me: Because grandma is sad so you don't need to go today.
T: Why is she sad?
Me: Because Peaches is sick. He's probably going to go see Jesus soon.
T: (Eyes very wide) You mean he's going to die?
Me: Yes, everyone has to die at some point it's just how it is.
T: Oh. LONG PAUSE. Can you take me to see him so I can give him one more hug?
Me: Yes honey I will.
T: Okay, I'll be sad when he dies.
Me: We all will so it's okay.

That child has a heart of gold. She is so compassionate and emotional (which is bad when she's being a drama queen). I don't know how I got so lucky having her, but I thank God for her every day (Callee too) and am so glad the child is wise beyond her years (for a situation like this.)

5 comments:

Amy Plumb said...

That's awesome you talked to Taylor, some parents are so afraid to mention death to a child. I'm not sure why because when your honest they will understand. Good job!
Amy

Cheffie-Mom said...

This brought tears to my eyes. "Can I see him so I can give him one more hug?" - What an angel.

Kellan said...

Oh, she is the sweetest thing! I hope she gets to see Peaches before it is too late.

Take care and be careful driving - Kellan

Unknown said...

Becareful on the roads!!! I remember those days..

Your daughter is wise beyond her years and so very very sweet too.

Shana W. said...

Well, now you have me crying! How sweet! :o)