Monday, November 12, 2007

Never a Dull Moment and an award!

There is never a dull moment in our house, but I'm sure that goes without saying when you have a 3 year old and 16 month old in the house.

Callee woke up Friday night about 2:00 a.m. with a 105 degree fever. I gave her Motrin, walked with her and calmed her back to sleep. Up again at 4:00 a.m. couldn't give her meds but her temp was still 103. Got her calmed back down at 9:30 a.m. and told Mike he'd be taking Taylor to dance since I had been up so long. He took her, I got Callee calmed down and she napped while I got a shower and tried to wash some of the germs off of me. I watched Callee all day to see if she was pulling at her ears or anything...nothing! I know you all think I'm crazy since she had such a high temp and I just kept her home and watched her. My children run very high temps, which I used to freak out about, but not anymore. ***Taylor once had a 108 degree fever and I freaked. I took her to the hospital because it was 12:00 a.m. and nobody there seemed to bat an eyelash. Is she seizing? No. Okay then, we'll get to you when it's your turn. I learned it must not be too bad.*** Anyway, come 7:30 p.m. she starts pulling on her ear while she is getting a bath. We head out to Immediate Care about 8:15 after she has dried. We get there, do the routine and the doctor comes in. It is an ear infection. I take her script for amoxil to the closest open pharmacy because it is nearly 9:30 by this point an no one was open.

Pharmacist: When would you like to pick this up?

Me: As soon as possible (thought: I'd like to get some sleep tonight)

Pharmacist: I can probably have it ready for you in an hour.

Me: Thanks (thought: An hour? An hour? Just mix and give it to me. I don't see anyone waiting but me, no one will know you gave me cutsies!)

Callee and I proceed on. I don't want to drive the 25 minutes home, but I don't want to sit at Walgreens for an hour. I have an idea. Mike's dad and stepmom live 10 minutes down the road so I call them to see if we can come for a short visit. Sure they say kindly and sound a little excited. We arrive, they visit with Callee and I wait until it is time to pick up the antibiotics. Mike's step mom decides to get out the turtle they have to show Callee. I have no objections because Taylor always liked the turtle and would be fascinated by it for hours. Step mom gets it and grabs Callee's hand to show her how to pet its shell and what does spaz do? She tries to rip the turtles head off. We pull it away only to realize it has bitten her and now broken the skin. This is blurry but do you see the bright red mark under her thumb? That would be the bite mark.

I am thinking at this point, why me? That mixed with at least she is on an anti-biotic in case it gets infected. But there was this burning voice inside saying call the doctor. I tried to ignore it but I couldn't so I called the doctor and explained. I also said, "I've never known anyone to have been bitten by a turtle." To which he replies, "How many people do you know try to rip a turtles head off?" Good point! He says to watch for bloody diarrhea because all reptiles carry salmonella. Great! Let's pray she is fine. So far no blood in the poop. One more day to check for it and I'll be home free. Now, hopefully the stupid site doesn't get infected either.\

I would write about the rest of my weekend, but that was long enough. I'll tell the happy and good part tomorrow.

On a happy note, I received another award today from Kellan at On the Upside. She bestowed upon me the Friendly Site Award and she says she visits daily. I like daily visitors! Seriously though, thank you Kellan for giving this to me. I really appreciate it and after the weekend I had, it was a nice treat to come upon on Monday morning. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Now, I'm going to pass it on to two people. One Shana at My 3 Wiseman's and Amy at My Wonderful Men (I know there is more than that, but it's just so long!) I have really gotten to know these two women very well. I appreciate them and the fact that during rough spells, they are only an e-mail away. Thank you ladies for being so friendly.


Shana said...

First off...Thank you for the award! You have made my day! And for your nice comment about me. I am glad that we have became blogging friends! :o)

And I am sorry to hear about you sick little one. It is never fun to have a sick child. I hope Callee is feeling better soon and that the bit heals well. :o)

My Wonderful Men... said...

Thank you so much for the award, this is my first one. And coming from you makes it even better. I'm really happy we have become blogging friends.

Sorry to hear you had such a rough weekend. I hope your little one is better soon. That is always so hard to watch them suffer when they don't feel good, and then get bit by a turtle. Poor baby!

Kellan said...

Hi Courtney (that is one of my twins' names) - you are very welcome for the award - well deserved! I hope Callee is getting better. My little girl also had fever (earache) this weekend. That is a high fever - my twins used to get high fevers as well (104+) - it scares me to death. Hope she is well soon. Take care.

Bek said...

thanks for visiting!!! good to hear from you - we probably have very similar (never a dull moment) days a lot, seeing as we both have a 3 year old and 15-16 month old!!!! fun to hear your stories! glad the turtle still has its head. sorry about your daughter's finger (and sickness) :)