Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, October 1, 2007

I think I need pills

Okay, that is kind of a bad title for a post. I think I may either need an anti-depressant or sleeping pills though. Sleeping pills may not be such a good idea since the reason I am feeling so gloomy and unhappy is because my kids don't want to sleep. If I got sleeping pills, I wouldn't hear them to get up with them and I would be a really bad mom. However, anti-depressants have side effects that I don't know if I am willing to risk. Some cause weight gain and since I am still trying to lose, I don't think I want that. Also, there are sexual side effects, sleeping side effects (insomnia), and lots of other ones that I don't know which is worse the sad feeling all the time or the side effects. I think I'll probably make an appointment with the doctor and discuss my fears and anxieties and see what his suggestion is.

My children have had some odd sleeping habits lately. Last weekend, my sister watched my kids and said she put Callee to bed at 10 which is an hour and a half later than normal. I had expected her to sleep in, but at 2 a.m., she was up. I stayed up and got her back to sleep at 3, put her in her bed and went to sleep myself. At 3:40, my sister brought her in my room to me because I hadn't heard her crying. That is really weird, I must have been exhausted, but it still scared the crap out of me. Who doesn't hear their crying child? She stayed up until 6:30 and finally went back to sleep in our bed. She was up again at 10:30. Apparently sleep is over rated in her eyes. However, it is not for mommy and quite frankly, I need it.

That brings us to this weekend. I got her in bed about 9 Friday night. She was up at 7 and took a nap from 12:15 - 4:30. She was back in bed by 8:40 and got up at 7:30 on Sunday. She took a 2 hour nap and was pretty much happy the rest of the day. Mike and I put the girls to bed about 8:15 Sunday night because they were out of control bad for some unknown reason. They went to sleep fairly easy, but at 8:50 Taylor got up and you could tell she had been sleeping. A couple minutes later Callee was crying and Mike went to put Taylor back to bed. Taylor got up again about 15 minutes later and we told her we weren't tucking her in again, she needed to do it herself. You could still hear Callee whining and fussing from being woken up, but it seemed as if she may go back to sleep. About 10 minutes passed and you can hear incessant giggling emerging from their room. Mike went in there to see what was going on and both girls were still in their own beds, but were talking and giggling. We allowed them to get up for a little while because you could tell they weren't going to just go back to sleep. Callee went back to bed at 10:50 and Taylor at 11:30. They were both up by 8:15 this morning.

I had to get up for work and now I am dragging through this day. I know when I get home I will be short patienced and counting down the minutes until bedtime, praying it will be an easier night. Having two kids is a whole different ball game. I had bedtime down to a tee with Taylor and then along came Callee. Bedtime still went pretty smoothly for a while, but in the last month, everything has taken a turn for the worse with bedtime. I don't know what to do really, but I do know I need something to change.

Any suggestions?

**On a side note, Mike and I have been talking about moving our room upstairs, but I really don't want to sleep on a different floor as them. This would give them their own rooms and keep one from waking the other up.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I wish I could help. I agree with you on the sleeping upstairs. I wouldn't want to be on a different level than mine either, at least at this age. Mine go to bed at 8 and wake up before 6, with no napping so I certainly understand the dragging through the day. I'm so sorry, I wish I could help more.