Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Why is that?

My children are hilarious. Just little every day things they do (like the face to your right) crack me up. Of course, nothing in particular comes to mind right now, but looking back over the course of their lives, there have been some hilarious times coupled with plenty of good ole belly laughs. So then, why is it everyone thinks their kid is the funniest, cutest, smartest, best at everything? Whether we mean it as a competition or just some good ole fashion bragging, people's (children's) feelings get hurt in the crossfire. It's not that we ever intend to make one of them feel inadequate, but so and so talked at x age, why isn't your child? Is there something wrong? These may be innocent statements maybe the moron doesn't realize everyone develops differently and at different ages, but none the less, if this keeps up over the course of their lives, someone's feelings will get hurt.

My family is great for this unfortunately. When I was pregnant with Taylor, another one of my cousins had a little girl 7 months older then Tay. Well, unfortunately, she walked really early (9 months) and Taylor walked really late (15 months), from then on the battle was waged. This is not how I want to raise my children. You can do this, but so and so can't. I never want my kids to feel like they are better than someone or below someone. Mike and I do the best we can to give them not only what they need, but also what they want. My kids do not go without the necessities, but in the same token, we are not loaded so the minute they ask for something, we don't run out and buy it for them. They are loved to the extreme, have food on the table, clothes on their backs, a roof over their head, and a huge amount of toys. Why is it then, that I constantly feel they should have more and be in this or that? Why can't I just be grateful that we have two healthy kids who need for nothing and are loved and provided for?

Well, I'm off for now, just a little somethin, somethin to ponder. A much more fun and happy post tomorrow with lots of great pictures. But here is a picture of the caged beast herself.

No comments: